I'm just a fellow writer who is right in your shoes, muddling through as best as I can, and chronicling what I learn on the way. Comments and feedback are appreciated and encouraged. Interested in guest blogging or swapping links? Email me at carrieeckles@gmail.com.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

Why I'm Write in Your Shoes

So, I wanted to take a different approach to creating a writing blog than I have done before. Mainly, because those attempts didn't go so well. I would start a blog trying to tell you, dear readers, how you should be writing as though I actually knew more than you did, like I've tried things you haven't.

But the thing is--I've never had a novel published. While it's true I am a published writer, I've mostly done articles and opinion pieces and commentaries (which are basically opinion pieces) and anecdotes, and while I love all that, and hope I continue to do that for a very long time, finishing and publishing my novels is what I really want to do with my life.

And when I recently thought about blogging about writing from that angle, I realized one simple truth: I'm just like you. I am not published--not yet, anyway. But I fully intend to be.

Writing isn't a hobby for me. It's my life. Aside of my loved ones, writing is what matters most to me. I live, breathe, drink and hope writing. Every day. Even on days when I don't think I can write, I find myself writing something, because it was what I was made to do. It's what I am.

You're probably wondering why I'm not published yet. The answer is simple enough: I haven't tried. I've been working on a series of books since I was 14--that's almost 11 years now--and I've yet to take that final step. I keep telling myself that it's not ready, that I can do better, and you know, I think I can. I really think I can.

I want to get my work out there and at least try. I'm not saying I'll actually make it, but can you imagine for just one second if I did? It would be me, finally accomplishing the thing I've had my heart and soul set on since I was four and wrote my first poorly-spelled story on that old typewriter.

I started this blog so I could vocalize my triumphs and frustrations in this process of actually writing and polishing my work and getting it out there to the masses. Yes, this is kinda amateur hour, but you don't have to have a PhD to find out what works--you just have to find out what works and use it. And that's what I'm going to do. Right here. On this blog. Starting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment